Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Ups and Downs

The title says it all!

The last Friday of February I was laid off from my job at Christal Radio. In the back of my mind, I knew it was coming. I knew that they would probably let one assistant go since there were only 3 AE's. Luckily, I get 6 months severance pay. That is the only thing keeping me from freaking out.

I'm also trying to file for unemployment. I'm still waiting to hear back from them to see if I can receive benefits while also getting severance pay. If I do get unemployment, then I have to stop working at The Bronx for a while.

I have to get up early in the morning and try to talk to someone. I'm sure that will be fun.

Since I'm not working right now, I figured it might be a good time to finally get a puppy. I'd be home during the day, so I could potty train it. Also, I would get to spend time with the puppy while it's still a little baby. So last Monday I got Riley. She is a chocolate and white Shih Tzu. She was only 7 weeks old and probably about 2 pounds. She is the cutest thing ever! But she is definitely a handful.

We are working on potty training right now. Hopefully she will catch on soon. I'm going to a potty training class on Thursday. She went to the groomers for the first time today. I dropped her off at 12:30 and they had her for 3 hours. I tried to get as much cleaning done as I could while she was gone :) When I picked her up, she had a little red bow on top her head. Of course that didn't last long. But at least now you can see her pretty little face!

On Wednesday Amber and I headed to Austin for a little road trip. We had tickets to see Modest Mouse and we were going to stay with Lizeth. We got a late start and didn't get down there till 5pm. After visiting, we still had to get ready and grab a bite to eat. I knew we would be late to the concert, but I figured we would still be in time to see MM. We ate at Trudys for dinner. I had the chorizo stuffed chicken with queso sauce. It was so freakin good!

After dinner we rushed downtown. We ended up being later than we had planned. We only got to see about 4 or 5 songs. But on the way in, these two guys handed us their VIP passes and we took turns going up on the balcony and watching the concert from up there. I wasn't too upset about missing the concert since I've seen them before and I will see them again.

After the concert we picked up some bottles of wine and Scrabble.

Thursday we went to lunch at Docs and then walked around 6 Street. We decided to stay one more day, so Amber and I took a nap while Lizeth was at work. We were going to go look at the bats, but we didn't get up in time. Then we went to Trudys again for dinner. I love that place.

Friday we got up and went to breakfast. Then we did a little shopping and headed back to Lizeth's. Before we left town, Amber and I spent an hour at IKEA. I bought a dog bed, pillows, spice canisters, and a flower vase. On the way back home we stopped at the Czech Stop for some yummy goodness.

We also stopped at Willie's Place.

Breakfast anyone?

Here are some pictures from the trip:

The essentials of any road trip

Lizeth & Amber

Gerri (aka Henry, Gerri Boo)

Lunch @ Docs

The capital

The Brazos River

I really enjoyed the time away, but I was glad to get home. Mom watched Riley while I was away, so I was missing her. Saturday I spent the whole day in my pjs. Sunday I went to lunch with Chelsey. We went to Uncle Julios. It was nice spending time with her.

Monday was Mom's birthday. I made her some pistachio muffins and then I cooked her a pasta dinner. Since I didn't have the money to take her out, I thought I could cook her dinner.

Now that I have more free time, I will hopefully be updating my blog more often. But I'm not making any promises :)

No comments: