Sunday, April 26, 2009

Trying to do a little better

Lately, so many things have been going wrong. But somehow I've been able to do something about it. For example, I had to get 4 new tires, but I only paid under $100. My mixer was acting funny, but I was able to exchange it. I had to take my new $200 Anthropologie comforter to the cleaners because my cat threw up on it for the second time. The tag said "dry clean only" so that's what I did. When I got it back, it was full of gigantic lumps. So it was pretty much ruined. Luckily Anthrologie said I could return it. Woo-hoo! Then my surge protector went out and I had to buy a new one. No luck on that one. But my latest disaster is a tiny red spot on my arm. I think it might be a ringworm. It didn't itch or ooze. It's kinda freaking me out. But I don't have insurance yet, and I don't know if it's worth it to pay for the doctor. What happens if it's nothing? Then I've wasted all that money. So we will see.

As I mentioned in my previous blog, I've been trying to find better food for my little ones. Riley loves her new healthy food and treats. Chloe is a whole different story. Chloe is like Riley, she will eat anything (except her own poop). She likes fries, potato chips, tuna, and ice cream. But she won't eat any of the healthy food I give her. After many attempts, I had to switch back to the unhealthy food. Even if she won't eat the food, she does enjoy the healthy treats, so it's not a total loss.

FYI...I tried to feed a stray cat the healthy food and he wouldn't even eat it!

Today Riley had puppy class. We learned how to "leave it", "drop it", "down", and "take it". It's a lot to work on this week, but I think we can do it :) While we were practicing "take it", Riley did so good that the teacher made us show the class. I was so proud.

After class we went to Mom's for dinner. She fixed tostados and nachos. Yummy. Riley got to play with Roxie some, which she always enjoys. Mom made me some hot sauce to take home, so I think I will have some nachos tomorrow :)

Last week I was on Facebook, and a friend suggested that I become a fan of TOMS Shoes. They have an AT&T commercial, and I had wondered if it was a real company. I did some research, and it turns out that they are very real. The shoes are made out of hemp and other organic material. They have these really cool shoes called wrap boots. I have a hard time finding boots that will fit my legs, but these will fit no matter what. They wrap around your leg and then velcro at the top. I so want a pair! Anyways, every time you buy a pair of shoes, they give a pair to a child in need. They have trips called "shoe drops" where they go to Africa, South America, etc. and give kids shoes. These kids have never had shoes. So this is a pretty big thing. You can go on these trips, but it costs $1,800. The next shoe drop they have is towards the end of the year, and they are going to Argentina for a week. I think it would be so cool to go, but I don't have that kind of money. So, if I can't go , then I'll at least buy a pair of shoes!

All of this got me thinking. Instead of just sitting around while I'm looking for a job, I should really do something with my time. I looked up volunteer organizations in the area and found a lot I can do. I sent an email to a bunch of organizations, but only heard back from 2. The first organization is VITAS. They deal with hospice service and nursing homes. The position I applied for is a pet volunteer. I would take Riley with me and visit people. I think this could be a real good thing. Everyone loves her and a puppy can brighten any day. The other organization is a pet orphanage. I applied to be a cat cuddler/ dog walker. I'm excited about this cause I always want to comfort or play with the animals in cages. I go to orientation for these groups Tuesday and Wednesday morning.

I was looking through some old Doosu stuff the other day and found an old posting from the website. At the end of each posting they would list some good and bad things. In honor of them, here is my list:

Good:

Petting a stray cat.

MGMT

Having money.

Watching your puppy sleep.

Bad:

Potty breaks every hour.

Not being able to sleep at night.

Sleeping past 11am.

Mom having poison ivy.

2 comments:

Becca said...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ringworm

Is this what the spot on your arm looks like?

Lacey said...

I'm not sure. It's definitely a circle that's darker on the outter edge and slightly raised. That article says that I can make it worse if I treat it as a ringworm and it's not. No bueno.