Sunday, January 31, 2010

Eat Cake

Last week I made my first cake covered in fondant. I've watched Ace of Cakes and Cake Boss like crazy, so I figured I could do it. It was a lot easier than I thought. Of course it wasn't super easy. I made the cake for a little girl's 1st birthday. I had to sculpt a figure of Hello Kitty for the cake. I had also never done that before. The first figure I made didn't look right. This is the second figure I made. She ended up being a little heavy, so when I placed her on the cake she started to lean back. But I thought she was pretty good for my first sculpture.

The following week I made two birthday cakes. The first one I made was for my supervisor at work. I used blue and brown colors to make it more 'manly'. The paisley was made out of chocolate molds. This cake was my first multi-tier cake. After covering the cakes in fondant they were still pretty soft. I finally figured that if I put them in the fridge for a while, it will harden up. Which make it easier to move around. I made the top tier lemon cake with raspberry icing, and the bottom tier is chocolate cake with peanut butter icing. Both were super yummy!

The second cake I made that week for was a co-worker's mother's birthday. It was a chocolate cake with buttercream icing. This cake turned out so pretty. I added a shimmer to the flowers to make them stand out. This is definitely one of my favorite cakes.

I used a filter on this picture. I liked how it made the cake look vintage.

I have a super busy week of baking coming up the second week of Feb. This week I have to do a lot of planning and preparing so I don't get too stressed out.

Last night I went out for drinks with Chelsey. We went to Buffalo Wild Wings and I had a yummy wild berry margarita. It had been a while since I had been out for drinks, so it was nice. It makes me remember that I like going out for drinks and I should do it more often :)

I found out not too long ago that Kristin is having her wedding in Vegas this May. I'm super excited! I absolutely love Vegas. I'm thinking about flying out a day early and trying to catch Love. The tickets are about $150, but I think it will be so worth it. I'm also excited about taking my new camera. I'm sure I will come home with tons of photos!

No comments: